Private rented accommodation

The Council is not able to help everyone who registers for re-housing as demand far exceeds the supply especially for two bedroom houses – considering moving to private rented accommodation allows you to decide where you move to, to what type of property and when.

There are many Internet sites that are a very good with up to date properties to rent, including:

Letting Agencies - If you have money and the references, going to a letting agent will save you a lot of time. You will find letting agents listed in the local papers, Yellow Pages, or Thompson Local. They may charge you once you have accepted a property, but they cannot charge for registering you on their books. Never give any money to an agent until you have accepted a property.

Housing Solutions Fund

One of the difficulties for many people trying to obtain accommodation is finding the money needed for a deposit. The council has developed the Solutions Fund for people on a low income who are unable to raise this deposit.

Funds are paid as a grant for applicants either as rent in advance for a private rented property or assistance with letting agents fees. * terms and conditions

Help paying the rent on private rented accommodation if you are on a low income or are on benefits you may be able to get help paying the rent by claiming housing benefit.

Single people aged under 35 will only get enough money for a room in a shared house, but other households can claim more depending on the size of the family. The amount of housing benefit paid is dependent on the local housing allowance click here for more information.