Need help paying for private rented accommodation

Most landlords will ask for one month’s rent in advance and one month’s rent as a deposit. Depending on the type of property you can sometimes negotiate the amount you have to pay. If you do pay a deposit, your landlord will have to safeguard it. In certain circumstances the Council pay be able to help you with the deposit for more information please contact the Housing Solutions Team.

Telephone: 01827 709709. Online:

If you are on a low income or are on benefits you may be able to get help paying the rent by claiming housing benefit. Single people aged under 35 will only get enough money for a room in a shared house, but other households can claim more depending on the size of the family. The amount of housing benefit paid is dependent on the local housing allowance you are entitled to. click here for more information.

Contact: Tel: 01827 709540. Email:

One of the difficulties for many people trying to obtain accommodation is finding the money needed for a deposit. The council has developed the Bond Scheme for people on a low income who are unable to raise this deposit.

It is a guarantee from the council for up to the value of at least one months rent.

The bond period is for six months and you must save so you can pay the deposit to the landlord when the bond expires. If there is a problem at the end of your tenancy, your landlord can ask you to pay for damage you've caused or rent you didn't pay from your rent deposit or bond. For more information regarding this scheme such as the criteria to apply please contact the Housing Solutions Service, the details are below.

Contact: Tel: 01827 709709. Email: