Help with paying your mortgage

Help with paying your mortgage

What you should do if you are having trouble paying your mortgage

  1. Tell your Lender as soon as possible: your Lender will be sympathetic and will provide as much assistance as possible.
  2. Get advice: there are Organisations which offer free and independent money advice. Locally the Council works in partnership with the Citizens Advice Bureau to provide debt advice
    Contact; Tel 03444 111 444
  3. Check the help available to you: your repayments may be covered by an insurance policy or you may be eligible for government benefits or schemes which could help you to stay in your home.

The Money Advice Service website provides advice and information on payment problems and avoiding repossession.

The Housing Solutions Team can also provide you with details of government schemes to help with mortgage arrears such as;

  • Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) - helps homeowners on certain benefits with their mortgage interest payments. Further Information and advice on SMI is also available on the directgov website or to make a claim, phone the Jobcentre Plus 0800 055 6688.
  • Mortgage Rescue – the council may be able to offer financial help for you to stay in your home * depending on your circumstances.